Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mid-Life Crisis?

Some girls get to middle age and start a hobby. Knitting groups. Book clubs. Golf. Charity fundraisers. I started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Don't ask why. It's complicated. But there aren't many women in the sport, much less 40-year-old women. I'm afraid to tell people. I mean, submission grappling with men? At my age? What will the neighbors think?

I have made a personal commitment to continue BJJ until the end of March. No outs. No excuses. No matter what. Come ringworm or broken toes. At that time, if I love it, I will continue. If not, well then, I guess I'll have to buy that Vespa to satisfy those mid-life cravings.

This blog is a chronicle of my four-month trial.

5 comments:

  1. Ooo, more blogs! Awesome. :D

    Also, you'd be surprised on the 40+ women in BJJ thing. I can think of a bunch, so might be worth checking out their sites/these articles for some inspiration:

    Dagney
    Fenix
    Felicia
    Val
    Jane (before and after training picture here)
    Jen
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Welcome to our mini-universe! BJJ is great for the mind and body. Also, don't be surprised if your mid-life crisis includes the vespa along with BJJ training. See Valerie Worthington's blog "Prancing and Sucking" for more information on that subject.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ slideyfoot: Thanks for all the blog resources. I'm going to check them out. Definitely need moral support. The suburban moms in my community are not the bjj types! (yet...maybe I'll start a fashion!)

    @Dagney: Well, then you'll all just have to help me pick a color. I'm thinking classic red. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I'm over forty and I have the kids to prove it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! More women BJJ bloggers! I'm 34--not quite 40, but I can understand the feeling. Most of my teammates are quite young.

    ReplyDelete

Shark Girl Is Ready to Pull the Plug on Her "New" Gym

I need your jiu jitsu therapy again, o vast and all-knowing readers.  About a year Before Covid (BC), my native gym closed down--the one whe...